Tuesday, May 8, 2012

the way it was...

I remember

...sitting next to you at lunch, making up stories about the people passing by.
...dancing with you.
...going with you to the credit recovery program the high school offered after school so you wouldn't have to be by yourself.
...walking to the park and swinging on the swings for hours until I got sick and we laid in the grass before going back home.
...the afternoon that I got in my first wreck -- it was also the first time you held me when I cried.
...trying not to get caught looking at you in choir class.
...that I was one of the few people who could ever surprise you.
...our first fight, onstage during our ballroom performance in the dance concert at the end of the school year.
...when you came to my house late at night to apologize, and how I couldn't help but forgive you.
...the afternoon in the parking lot during the rainstorm, where you twirled me around and around as the rain drenched us while we laughed.
...how you laughed at how shocked I was the first time you kissed me on the cheek -- and how I cried when you drove away after saying good-bye for the summer.
...the night you called me when you were gone for the summer and we talked for four hours.
...the look on your face when I gave you your birthday present.
...when I fell asleep on your shoulder on the bus ride home when we were on choir tour.
...that summer night under the cherry tree, blossoms all pink and white, and you asked me to dance with you before you drove me home.
...the first time you told me that you loved me.


I'm glad I can remember you now and smile. I didn't think I'd ever get to this point. It feels good.

No comments: